Thread: Meet Cooper
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #23
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I have trained dogs for many, many years, so I am just curious..... Have you set up a webcam/Nanny cam to watch the dog while it is alone? You should do this so you can post what it's reactions are when you leave the house and it alone. Weims are very eye based dogs. You need to look it in the eyes when speaking to it or doing any type of training,. It reads your emotions this way. I never suggest scolding a dog for bad behavior. Remember to only reward good behavior and not to scold the dog. It simply will not understand the scolding. It will simply keep doing what it is doing to get your attention. The dog always wants your attention. Patience is a virtue when dog training. Don't take this the wrong way but you decided to take on the dog as a pet and you now owe it to the dog to train it properly. Sounds like this is what you want as well. Many people get frustrated with training and simply give up. Please do not give up. Weimaraners are a very sensitive breed. Look it in the eyes and you will see this. Have fun with the training and it will not seem like a job. If you are having fun the dog will have fun learning as well. Oh and don't forget the exercise. Very, very important to run or fast walk hyper dogs to release it's energy. This should help keep your furniture from becoming a chew toy. You might want to stop crating as well. Sounds like this is an issue with the dog that will most likely not be rectified any longer. Some dogs simply do not crate. No sense freaking the dog out if it isn't going to work. If the crate becomes a punishment tool, the dog will not want anything to do with the crate, Which sounds like what is happening now. Remember. Exercise, fun, reward. Ignore bad behavior. Do not scold. These are the golden rules in training.
Hi - Coopers crate has never, ever been used for punishment we keep it open to him all day and when we're there he's in and out all the time. I've called a local pet store and will be starting private lessons shortly. I opted for private to work on specific things I believe he needs socialization will come in time. I've also looked into the day care but males cannot go into the "general public" and play with other dogs till their "fixed." Two places have told me this and said that's generally the rule with anyone. The neutering will be early summer we were told to wait till he's at least one years old. After that I will bring him once in awhile to get him out of the house to "play." We've recently started leaving him in one room with the slider shut and he's doing ok(?) a few cheap things chewed that we don't care about. He doesn't eat anything seems to chew it and just leave it so that's good. I do see some puppy habits slowly changing. I purposely leave sneakers hanging around so he sees them, their being left alone more and more. And the beat goes on!!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote