Thread: Meet Cooper
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #18
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Hi - yeah Cooper's getting quite large although he doesn't seem to realize it! I just finished reading the thread about the dog that ate a whole Perch. Last week Coop got a hold of a pill case the kind that holds a weeks worth of meds. Luckily there was only Vitamin D, a Probiotic and another pill that proved to be harmless I forget the name. Trying to get him used to his crate which he absolutely hates, he drools and bites at it terribly all day. Next test is going to be keeping him loose confined to one room and see how he does. If this doesn't work not sure what's next. I hate the thought of giving him up however we can't keep doing this every day either. He just loves company and wants it 24/7 we need to work, that just isn't possible. Other than that he's a great dog, VERY energetic but hopefully that quiets down a little with age too. My last Weim was way calmer than he has proved to be so far.
Weimeraners can be very hyper-active, and some can suffer separation anxiety. They can be quite a challenge. 2 examples:
One family member had one. Took for a ride in the pick up (dog loved being in the truck). Made a stop, maybe 30-45 mins. When they came back to the truck, the interior was destroyed. Dog had torn down the roof lining and shredded it. Also started chewing up the seats.

A friend of mine also had one. This dog did not like being restrained, at all. Left dog outside for an hour, on a chain which was inside a 10’ x 10’ chain link enclosure. The dog actually was able to drag the chain link enclosure all the way down the driveway into the street.

I have 2 Dalmatians, so believe I know how dogs can be when not getting human interaction. But I would be very hesitant to own a weimeraner based on the 2 examples above.

Your last one was clearly not like the examples I cited above. I am just saying that they can be tough. I wish you the best of luck, as Cooper is a great looking pup.