View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 05:52 AM   #26
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
Hey Jondx52...

Welcome to Winnie! A fabulously beautiful lake... but one that needs to be respected in a small boat.

I've been a visitor to the lake for more than twenty years... a bass fisherman that spent MANY years exploring in a 16 foot Grumman Aluminum semi-Vee bassboat with a 75hp motor. I've pretty much been to most places on the lake, but you have to choose wisely when you're in a small boat.

For sure .. weekdays are better than weekends... but even then, weather can change conditions in a moment.

If I were day tripping and wanted to explore a bit in a16 ft boat, ... I would never launch from Alton Bay, Wolfboro Bay, or Merideth Bay. Beautiful areas .. nice restaurants.. but the busiest and roughest water on the lake. As others have said, the northeast side of the lake is much quieter. launch from Center Harbor, Harilla Landing, or even Lee's Mills. Get a paper chart (along with your electronics) and take your time. Yes, the markers can be confusing (study the map!!) and when in doubt stop and reassess.

And as has been said before... NEVER! assume that other boats know where they are going...Those big boats could very well be more clueless than you!

Have fun exploring… Be (more than) careful and enjoy.

Oh...and BTW.. the scariest weather/water conditions I ever experienced was on Winnisquam! Bad weather.. huge waves... scary stuff indeed.

Gusman
I agree with Gusman in most of this post. Where I disagree is launching in Alton Bay, Wolfboro Bay, and Meredith Bay being the roughest water on the lake. Yes, all 3 of those places are rough, but only on weekends when the lake is a zoo. If you launch in any of those area's on a nice weekday, with little to no wind, I think any one of those places will be fine for any size boat. It's a totally different lake on weekends compared to Monday thru Friday, as long as there is no wind. If you only have a chance to explore the lake on a weekend, then I would definitely recommend the Moultonboro Bay area where it is much calmer on that side of the lake. Also, even with all your electronics, I would advise (anyone) to have a bizer chart with you at all times when exploring this lake. If you launch in Alton, I would recommend Robert's Cove. They are more than happy to help you launch, and get your boat back on the trailer upon your return, and it is only 20 and there is plenty of parking. There is a public ramp at the southern tip of Alton Bay, but it is under construction for the foreseeable future, otherwise I would recommend that if you are an early riser... Good luck, and enjoy!!
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote