Thread: MVM Cam
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #7
chasedawg

Default Ice boats Melvin Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeinusa69 View Post
That's what you saw Ice Boating in Melvin Bay.
There are a group of ice boaters from Long Island, NY. I was there with them this morning. They were having a great time and loved the ice conditions. They were very careful. They had taken ice depth in many locations and put out flags where the conditions were not good. The ice thinkness was a good 12+ in the area that they sailed. They all had cold water protection suits, PFD's ice picks and ropes in case there was an issue. These guys travel many miles to find good ice conditions. They are very experienced and serious ice boaters? They love Melvin Village Bay.
I drove by this evening and there are still several ice boats there. A couple are very high tech and can exceed 100MPH with 15 knot winds I was told. A great bunch of guys having fun and are very careful and knowledgeable about the ice conditions on Winni. They would not travel beyond the Melvin Village Bay Area. I told them of the poor ice conditions everywhere on the lake. They agreed and said after today and maybe tomorrow this will probably end their sailing season and head back to Long Island, NY. I welcomed them to the area and wished them well.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote