View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 12:28 PM   #47
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Out of touch? What jobs? Look around. What tr5ime do bus drivers start their day? Hospital, Fire, Police have been working all night. Listen to the radio on the way to work? What time did those folks start? Or the guy at Dunkins? Anybody who is in the military is working 24/7 so you can sleep peacefully. I grew up in the flower business--The Boston Flower Exchange opened at 6:00 am until noon and the vendors were there before and after those hours. We can all think of dozens of jobs where people are working before 8:00 am and keeping your world running.
Other than "off-shifts," the world is 8/9-5. And, if you're going to base the argument on wake time, neither second nor third shift are up before 8!

I drive Route 3 EVERY DAY at 5:30-6 AM, and it's clear sailing. By 7, when people are commuting in for their 8/9-5s, it starts to back up. At 7PM-5AM it's essentially zero—I saw this for years working overnights and night school.

The point I was making is that students wouldn't be at all weird getting up at 7/8 for a school start of 8/9.

And (almost) all (I've not read EVERY piece) research shows myriad benefits of that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk