View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #42
Airwaves

Quote:
Posted by Evenstar
The problem is not my lack of visibility, because I am very visible – the problem is that some powerboat owners are traveling at speeds that are greater than their ability to see smaller boats in time to stay out of their 150 foot zone.
You're visible but can't be seen...
Quote:
Posted by Evenstar
2.) Those little flags are nothing but gimmicks. They are not large enough to increase visibility significantly.
So from my perspective as a boater traveling as speeds greater than my ability to see...spotting a bright orange flag in the middle of the lake would register as in my mind...as a golf green??
Quote:
Posted by Evanstar
A canoe and rowboat are nothing like a sea kayak – so please stop trying to advise me on something that you have absolutely no experience with.
Low to the water, human powered vessels, all have the same issue when in traffic areas, first and foremost is their inability to move faster than the human powering the vessel can propel them, then there is the visibility issue. I am not going to get into a leaky rowboat and race you and your kayak, but they do share some of the same characteristics. If you are blind to that fact there's nothing I can do or say to help you.
Quote:
Posted by Evenstar
FYI: I do not cut in front of, cut off, or get in the way of other vessels. I give them plenty of clearance and I wait for a clear opening before crossing any channel. I race sailboats, so I’m very aware of the blind spots, but I also know the rules of sailing. It is your responsibility to avoid other vessels – even when they are kayaks. If you can’t keep track of where nearby vessels are at all times, then you need to have someone else on board who can keep watch.
I am getting the very distinct impression that you believe the water is yours and that you are good enough to share with the rest of us! If you actually know the boating regulations you know that
Quote:
"It is your responsibility to avoid other vessels – even when they are kayaks
...and even when you are in a kayak!
Quote:
Posted by Evenstar
Stop trying to blame the dangerous conditions on us paddlers, when it doesn’t take a whole lot of common sense to see that high-speed powerboats are the ones putting us in danger
And you explain the 5th leading cause of accidents on NH waterways in 2006 how?

Last edited by Airwaves; 06-28-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Making the last sentence read 5th leading cause, not 6th.