Thread: Welch Power
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch-time View Post
I just got off the phone with Mark (forgot his last name) from Eversource and he said they will send crews to Welch when the ice is thick enough. They have an Argo 8 wheel amphibious vehicle that they drive out. They check with NH fish and game for ice reports. He's going to let me know when they go out. They routinely do this in the winter to trim trees and do inspections when the ice is safe. Probably a few more weeks.

I also talked with a tech from Fairpoint who was checking the phone lines. He was able to use his test equipment to detect around 3 miles of cable heading out to Welch (from the mainland) which he thought was about normal. He wasn't able to see my router (no power?) If there was a break in the cable it would have been a noticeably shorter distance.

Mark
They use a "time domain refelctometer" (TDR) to determine distance to a break or end of cable. A pulse is sent and the time measured to when the reflection returns. It is about 1 mile from Belknap Point over to the north/south split. Then maybe 1.5 to 2 miles around to the end of the north line at the most. If the measurement was made correctly then the phone lines should be good to both you and Dan.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote