View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 12:29 AM   #22
Crusty

I would like to have an electric car. However at this point it would need to be an "extra" for driving around town. Even with the taxpayer subsidies on the purchase price, I'm not wanting to spend that kind of money. Certainly, as time goes on, electric vehicles of all kinds will become cheaper, faster to charge, and much more numerous. I saw an AP article just today indicating that moving to electric vehicles would eliminate many autoworker jobs, as electric cars are much simple to construct with many fewer parts. Also, the batteries are largely built by robots.

One question is: Will the electric grid support the extra load of charging 100 million cars every day? I believe the answer is: Not even close. California can't even run their air conditioners on a hot day and they refuse the environmental cost of more power lines. Since you can't truck in electricity, does NH want to double the number of power lines running through the state?

Once the gas stations are gone, gasoline will be sold in hardware stores, probably around $20+ / gallon. It will eventually become as hard to find as kerosene.

The big question in the Northeast will be how to survive during a major power outage without any transportation? A propane generator won't put much of a charge in a battery. And of course, all the emergency and maintenance vehicles will be electric too.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote