View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #78
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Heading in to the mainland just southeast of Timber Island, we were approached by a boat approaching from our starboard quarter. I maintained my course since the other boat was an approaching (overtaking) vessel. When it became obvious that he was not changing his course, I reduced my speed to allow him to pass in front of us. I indicated my displeasure by giving him a thumb's down (I did have a choice of digits to use). The other boat's operator yelled that he had the right-of-way. I presume that he thought he was correct since he was approaching from our right.

There was plenty of lake behind us. He could have easily gone behind us without a change in speed. I believe that most of us would have done so. 🐻
Well, if you were heading to the mainland, and he was on your right (starboard).... he did have the ROW. You were most likely the Give Way Vessel.

Overtaking only applies when the vessel approaches from the stern.... past the 112.5 deg mark.

Woodsy
Attached Images