View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
VtSteve

There's some obvious non boater comments there, but in general, it covers all of the feelings. I'm not sure how someone selling their performance boat and replacing it with a 44' cruiser helps out the kayakers and canoeurs

As usual, nobody dares address the MP having their budget cut rather severely this year.

One thing the article points out in spades. Something most people on both sides of the issue already knew. The SL law was specifically supported to do away with performance boats. Duh. It was an obvious culture clash, and one side one. It had little to do with speed. Note that these articles and comments always have mention of the Blizzard accident and the Littlefield one. But they never mention the facts of what happened, including the speed.

So now you will obviously see a decline in those performance boats on the lake. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the case. But to have people replacing them with large, enormous wake-producing boats is a plus? I've read many stories of performance boaters shifting to more family-oriented cruisers, all over the country. I've always dreaded heavy cruiser traffic and their enormous wakes.

I'm sure the SL supporters have other targets as well, and it won't take long to figure out who they are. But this is the way the lake is now, so be it. Take a long look at the NHMP statistics for Winni last year. Tremendous number of SL violations, in No Wake Zones. Very few for exceeding the actual SL in other areas. Now the MP will have a scarce presence to patrol the lake. Winnfabs and it's members scoffed at the 150" limit, saying it was a ridiculous joke of a law. It's actually the most important law on the books, if dealt with with common sense.

But this issue is over. Perhaps everyone can actually watch and go boating now, and figure out which problems really do need to be dealt with. There's very little MP to go around, so you'll have to figure out how to deal with it yourself.

Watch out for those huge wakes now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links