View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
VtSteve

The article is vague, and I don't have the 2009 stats in front of me as a cross-reference. I believe statewide.

Skip makes a good point, and one that we've mentioned many times. The accident rates in NH as a whole, and Winnipesaukee in particular, are very low indeed. The fact that the numbers are so low, even a few accidents skew the numbers quite a bit in any given year. So taken as a whole, the accident numbers are very low.

I'd also like to point out a clear distinction in language. There's a huge difference between pointing out a variety of infractions every weekend on the water, and people actually being scared for a lot of reasons. Many of the infractions pointed out are, indeed, technical violations of the law. Like many of us, I'm sure the Marine Patrol allows for officer discretion when viewing minor infractions. IE: there's a huge difference between two boats heading the same direction in open water, 75 feet apart, and a boat on plane 75 feet from a kayaker or another boat operating at headway speed. I assume the MP uses their own judgment during the busy season.

In terms of accidents and/or fatalities, Winni's numbers have always been pretty low. For a lake with so much activity each summer, it's clear there never has been mayhem or anything close to it. Sure, there will always be some problems on any waterway. As far as I know, the Marine Patrol has been pretty comfortable with their view of the lake being safe for decades. They obviously can't be everywhere, so they miss some that other people see.

Fortunately, there are many more prudent and safe boaters than their are Captain Boneheads. It's the safe and courteous boater that should be included in any praise of such good numbers. The other ones need to work on it