View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 10:42 AM   #7
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautique2001 View Post
I don't recognize the camp, either, but the photos have some useful clues.

For instance, that buoy is a lighted buoy without a companion black or red spar--aren't a lot of those. (If only you could read its number!)

Based on the position of the photographer relative to the rock, buoy, and the Mount I could almost make a case from that being shot from the Black Cat Island bridge area, looking out past Becky's Garden in high water--but the lack of a "garden" (okay, scrubby brush) scuppers that idea. Still, the position of the mountains in both the Mount photo and the view from the dock-and-boat shot makes me think the north end of the lake.

That view shows a larger island with what looks like a dock and a little island just off to the side--looking for something like that near the Mount's old route might be helpful, too. I could make a case for Bear Island, looking out at Five Mile, with that large building in the far distance being a big shed at Trexler's Marina, which would also put you near a place your dad could have rented a boat--but there's no big dock on that Five Mile. Likewise, I tried to make a case for Pine Island, looking out at Three Mile (near Brown's for boat rental and the Mount's Weirs-to-Center Harbor route), but I think the little island is in the wrong orientation compared to Three-Mile.

Or, I could be entirely off base... or maybe this eliminated some spots to narrow the search. Good luck! And that's a great photo of the pre-83 Mount too!
Love the lighted buoy observation.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote