View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
kawishiwi

Default Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig View Post
Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions, I did pick up two Bizer maps and had them laminated, I also got the Novionics app on my phone although I have T-Mobile and I’m hoping that I have coverage there, I also have Navionics on my Lorance chart plotter fishfinder, I’m still working on how to use it properly, and I will keep my speed to a minimum until I know what I’m dealing with ha ha. I will be launching from Herilla yacht club, cutting through the six pack and straight in to the house we’re renting, hopefully the west side of Dow Island is fit for a little tubing with the kids.
At the risk of igniting the paper map vs gps debate, I suggest you lean heavily on the navionics gps map. Its great you have the paper map but a working gps doesnt lose track of where it really is the way a boater can.
I learned the lake first in that very area and the gps was huge for me.
Generally there is a lot of room to tube west of Dow. There is a massive shoal to the northwest to be aware of. It is marked but not particularly well marked. It shows up in the Navionics map quite obviously.
My second or third trip on the lake I fished that shoal and saw that almost every large underwater rock within a couple of feet of the surface appeared to have evidence of a motor strike on it.
One careful circumnavigation of that bay will set you up to have fun.