View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #67
Benny

Default Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Let's first offically define "etiquette": imply observance of the formal requirements governing behavior in polite society

Far as the lake goes, property owners have no more 'rights' or 'privledges' than anyone else when it comes to the lake itself. The amount of property tax levied is just that tax on property NOT on the lake. The fact a piece of property may include acutal shoreline is a unique feature that determines it's overall value. That's why if you look at any tax map for waterfront property the property boundary is the shore, not extending into the lake. Any features you wish to use that encroach into the lake is a matter of public interest, into a public body of water, and therefore regulated by the state in the best interest of the public.

To suggest that landowners are good stewards of the lake is comical, if that were the case then why have very strict guidelines for shorefront development? Answer, the 'stereotypical' landowners have taken it upon themselves to say hey I own my little piece and I'm going to do with it as I damn well please in many cases to the detriment of the lake itself. The worst offenders are the big money places, clear cutting, putting in lawn to the water's edge, polluting the water with ferilizer, throwing up these huge often times ugly places that take away from the natural beauty of the natural shore line. How obnoxious can you get to see some 20K SQFT mansion on a clear cut lot that is used only at best a couple weeks out of the year? I would also assert that most of the shorefront owners are also out of staters too because us natives can swing those places. So what's your point other than to present an entire premise that is argumentative?

Now as a native and resident of NH, should that give me any more access to the lake than anyone else? Of course not. The lake is not an exculsive club it's a resource for everyone to enjoy no matter where you are from or what means you happen to have. I have just reciently been one of the lucky ones to now own a little slice of heaven too, but that makes me no better than the day boater I used to be. I welcome all to enjoy the area and all it has to offer, and whether you be a day boater, land owner or just using a public beach. In the end it's God's creation that we all share, so treat it with the respect it deserves and good grief learn how to play well with others!
You get it, and you express a strong opinion. Of course there are other perspective views. It's a good thing we live in America, where we can exchange opinions in public.
I still believe shoreowners care more about the lake environment than daytimers. There's a significant number of properties that aren't part of a funnel development, that don't live in McMansions, that don't fertilize grass to the water's edge, and are maintained by families that have been here for generations. These folks do a good job of it.
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote