View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #17
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I rake all the leaves out of the water to as deep as I am able to go with about a 5' handle. I've noticed that the leaves that become encased in mud, other leaves, etc. don't decompose very quickly. I think crayfish also prefer a sandy bottom and the leaves don't help that population at all.

Almost as bad as throwing cigarette butts on the ground...The Weirs Beach as an ashtray is sickening to me. Or seeing them floating on the water.
Seems to me in the 60s & 70s, when it seemed just about everyone smoked, people actually used ashtrays. I remember cars with ashtrays full of butts. At some point it became 'acceptable' to toss those butts out the window and, I guess, due to lack of demand, manufacturers stopped providing ashtrays in cars. Regardless, I've never understood the 'toss it on the ground' deal. Not only is it disgusting, but those butts can find their way into waterways through storm sewers and runoff and, yes, then they're floating in the lake. If nothing else, they line our roadways and intersections and who knows if they are harmful to wildlife. What gives?
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote