View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #113
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Agreed with your original comment--so many circumstances don't follow that narrative.

Someone will be by soon to say she should just work harder.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
I'll bite! I actually agree with Garcia to a certain extent. The help should be focused with an eye to not helping anymore. The help shouldn't be forever. I hope we can agree that perpetually being on welfare is not good for the individual being helped, nor society as a whole.

I've told this story before on this Forum. One of my closest coworkers in the RI Army National Guard lost his father in Vietnam. At the time, he was 8. His older brother was 10 and his younger brother was 4. The only thing his mother received was $10,000 from the government. Nothing else. No benefits, no nothing. His mother refused government help (welfare) since she thought it would be a poor example to her children. Instead, she worked three jobs, one full-time job (as a secretary) and two part-time jobs (as a waitress) until the kids graduated from college. One became a medical doctor, one a lawyer and the last one an engineer. All three retired from the military.

The point is that it can be done. Unfortunately, hard work and perseverance is part of the solution.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: