View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #44
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Most newer VHF radios have a "scan" mode which allows you to monitor all channels. For example while I use channel 12 for non emergency hailing and conversation while fishing, my radio is still scanning all channels including 16 in case of an emergency in which I can assist.

Dan
Hey Dan --

Only problem with scanning all is it gets too "chatty" for me ... I agree, most new VHF have a Scan function, but I set mine to jump simply between 16 & my home chat channel

RattleTrap -- in your post -- looks like you have the essentials, my only comment would be to "beef up" your small First aid kit.

We made our own based on a kit and store in a medium size Tupperware container. It is filled with items we wished we had at various times with 3 kids (then teens, now adult) on the boat.

Large gauze pads
butterfly bandages
Extra large size bandages (foot wound/ step on glass)
surgical tape (small roll)
Clean linen towel

{Point is, ya never know -- stupid / unexpected things happen} .... for me, I once slipped while walking through the bowrider walk through and got a good sized gash on my arm from the window frame. Many years ago, our son got a good sized gash on the bottom of his foot when climbing on the rocks (and slipped) while we were at a sand bar.

Don't misunderstand, I am not talking about setting up a floating E-room, but you did mention "Kit" and those are usually filled only with household bandages.