View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #80
VADET

Sorry Rattlesnake Guy,
I'm sure you learned some things sitting on a jury for four weeks. If all you learned from that experience is that the police are expected to lie to you and deceive you then you are just incorrect.
Courts have upheld that Officers can lie to a suspect in an interrogation. However the courts look at extrinsic misrepresentations and intrinsic misrepresentations instead of truth v lie. The first of these implies coercion where as the other usually does not. Lying in an interrogation setting is a double edged sword because if the suspect calls your bluff, like in any good game of poker, your trust is lost and you are finished. I apologize for having just greased over years of Supreme Court decisions however my point is that Officers are not trained to lie to citizens Rattlesnake Guy, you are confusing separate issues. I have seen Officers fired for lying under oath and for lying in general.

I thank Lt. Dunleavy's for his response and he should commend his Officer for his professionalism that night.
VADET is offline   Reply With Quote