View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #72
MassCamper

As a police officer in Massachusetts and a weekend warrior boater on Lake Winnipesaukee I feel compelled to respond to many of the posts in this thread. As you can see I have only posted one time before and enjoy reading the forum.

First let me start by saying that I have been a Massachusetts police officer for over 19 years. The way I see it this “routine” stop was doomed from the beginning. Let’s start with:

“on goes his obnoxious spotlight right on me. I yell over to get that light off my face. Of course he doesn't. Even real police don't do that. Now I'm completely blind. Oh well. I later find out that I'd have an hour to get my night vision back anyway...”

This was not the right foot to get this stop started on. The officers used his spotlight to insure his safety, to determine how many people were in the boat and to gain a tactical edge. This is what they are trained to do. Yes even “real” police officers do this.

Why would you yell back at a police officer to “get the light off my face”? How do you think the encounter will progress? Respect is a two way street and you certainly didn’t do anything to earn it right out of the gate! That being said the officer deserved to be commended for maintaining his professionalism and conducting himself as he is trained to do.

Next let me address the issue of speeding. Police officers are trained to do their job. In fact part of a standard radar certification course requires the officer to estimate the speed first, then confirm it with a speed measurement device or by clocking the speed. An officer can estimate your speed and in fact cite you based solely on his estimation of your speed. He is a police officer and his training and experience is reasonable suspicioun in and of itself.

Next issue is the fact that you did not have your boating safety certificate or positive identification in your possession. In this case the officer took every reasonable means to positively determine your identity. In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts your social security number is listed on your drivers license printout from the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Confirming the number you give him with the number on the printout is the easiest way to verify your identity.

I am amazed at all the comments about someone listening to a police scanner and stealing your social security number. I am going to go out on a limb here, but I feel safe to say that no one has ever been accused, charged, or convicted of stealing a person’s ssn from a police scanner. I investigated identity crimes for many years. Identities are purchased in bulk on black markets that obtain them through breached security at banks and creditors…. Not by listening to police scanners!

In closing, this officer was doing his job that night, trying to keep the Lake safe for everyone. Some advice to everyone… if you get stopped either on land or on the water, a little respect goes a long way.
MassCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MassCamper For This Useful Post: