View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #43
CanisLupusArctos

Default Dodging the bullet (barely!)

Looks like tonight's storm system is going to keep most (if not all) of its rain out of the lakes region. At 2 p.m. radar indicates heavy rain over the mid-Atlantic states beginning to cover Massachusetts and trying to move northeastward, but in the loop it looks like it's ramming up against a brick wall at the NH border. I would expect showers to make it into southern NH later today and tonight. Best chance of rain drops from this system will be from Laconia to Alton. There's still blue sky showing through a high/mid-level overcast at Black Cat this hour. Temps are not as warm as yesterday but it's still a work-outside day.

High pressure will clear things out later tomorrow into Sunday. The next storm system, a big nor'easter, now looks like it too will be more of a NYC storm than a Boston or Portland storm. That could change, so stay tuned. If it does end up missing us to the south as currently forecast, it would be the second time in 3 days that we dodge a big bullet, given the area's flood potential.

Overall, we have dodged a bigger bullet than we know, the way this spring's meltdown has gone. A record snowpack at the end of winter has resulted in barely any flooding in this area, which is miraculous considering the floods we've had in the last 3 years.

On our side now are the trees. The trees around the lake are now about halfway to full-leaf and they've really sprung out this week, from barely discernible buds to a noticeable green. That means they are now drinking a lot of water. With the trees' growing season now begun, it will take more rain from a storm to create flooding because a lot of it will get consumed by the trees before it has a chance to run off and cause flooding.

I'm not a tree expert, but I'm guessing this high-growth time of year for them is probably helping to draw down the water table near the lake, just enough to help the dam's outflow be more effective in getting the lake level to its normal elevation for this time of year.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote