Thread: The Dive?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 05:19 AM   #613
ApS

Question Make Its Own Island?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
When you start thinking about places that could accommodate a 66 X 22 vessel the number of options is very small. Off the top of my head I know of no island docks that are capable of handling a vessel this size. Then there are the associated issues, such as where would any customers dock their boats.

As far as a different mainland location, the size again presents a problem. When you eliminate the commercial locations that would not want the competition for the food business the list gets even smaller. Thinking about the whole lake, there are few docks that the Dive could fit at, even if they were welcomed.

The booze cruise idea might help the bottom line if they could find a town or any location where they could temporarily dock to allow passengers to board. That would have to be a location with substantial parking. Laconia has already said no, (they didn't even want the Tiki Boats to pick up passengers there) and it may be difficult to find any other town that will approve it.

Although it is a unique idea, given the initial investment, insurance, and operating costs, the numbers just don't seem to me to be workable. I could be wrong but I would be surprised if it is still operating by 2020.
The idea was probably to actively use the short summer season, then "park" their barge for the winter. Where? Where all the other barges "park" for the winter. (And there are an increasing number of barges on this lake).

One blue work barge was "grounded" across from me in Winter Harbor. Then one Spring day, it left. It appeared to have sunk in place—whether deliberately or not, I don't know. With the pressure of ice equal inside and out, it didn't appear crushed; in fact, it seemed to have weathered the winter OK. The barge had made its own island!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Say the Dive was going to Braun Bay. How long would it take to go from WAM to Braun? It seems like it would be awful slow and maybe not feasible to go that far. There are not many areas it could go to be profitable. I think 3, Braun, Smalls, Margate sand bars and Braun, Margate maybe not feasible to go to, take too long to get there and back, also
not sure how it would handle a rough water day were it to travel.
Smalls maybe its only feasible option.
A couple of days ago, the wind came up from the west—very strongly. I was surprised to see a work barge leaving a protected anchorage to start its journey crossing this wind at 90°.