View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #65
GTO

Default the changing world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
This topic is interesting because as I drove through the Weirs the other day I was thinking about how it hasn't changed since the 1960's. The only difference- everything looks older and older. Very sad. I had so much fun there in my teen years. I still have pictures of my friends and I from the photo booth. There were so many great bands at Irwin Gardens down on the pier. We had fun in the arcades also.
It will be just a matter of time before the arcades close down now that everybody has a gaming system in their house...or even their phone. Growing up, we didn't have any of that so going to the Weirs or Funspot used to be the thing to do. Why go through a roll of quarters when you can download a free app. Now the photo booths you mention can be done directly from your phone and sent to all your friends within seconds. There are less and less people down at the Weirs over the years and its sad but something has to give. I can see in the very near future the arcades closing and empty buildings (until they mysteriously catch on fire). The docks are in terrible shape so its not fun to travel there by boat and tie up. So much has to be put into that whole area.