View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #19
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
If the current is ever 8 mph in the channel then there is something seriously wrong with the dam..... I think the worst I have seen it is 2 or 3 mph...
I have gone through, traveling with a 4 mph current with my jet boat, notorious for poor steering at low speeds. With a 4 mph current, I am traveling at 4 mph (over ground) with absolutely no steering or control. If I add the minimum 4-5 mph necessary to maintain control, I am now traveling 8-9 mph (over ground) just to keep control in a tight, rocky area.

I have had people on the shore jumping up and down yelling to slow down under these exact conditions. While I agree that many boats ignore or really push the limits of headway speed, have a clue when boats are just trying to navigate a busy channel with a strong current.

NWZ means under 6 mph or the minimum to maintain steering, not that there is not any wake behind the boat. There will always be some wake or ripple as a boat travels through the water.

I have been in Winnisquam channel at Martels when there were standing waves. This was 7-8 mph easy.