View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #14
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Tire pressure monitoring systems were mandated by the federal government...wasn't the manufacturer's idea to add them. The properties of air change with temperature...1 pound of air pressure for every 10 degree temperature change. If you set your tires pressures on a 60 degree day, when the temps drop to 20, the tire pressure goes down 4 pounds, and sometimes it's enough to turn the light on. This is why some places advertise nitrogen filling of tires...it has different properties and pressure stays the same. I advise people to set their tire pressure a little high in the colder months...the pressure will still drop, but not low enough to make the tpms light come on. Some manufacturers also disable the ability to turn off traction control systems ( Honda for one ) whenever the tpms light is on. That's a pain when you need to get some wheel speed in the snow...when I keep a 12volt inflator in my trunk...just in case I need to inflate..while on my way to the lake!
That’s what I did when my pressure light came on recently. I set my pressure higher than normal (only one tire was the culprit). I’m due for new tires in December and will check out the prices for the nitrogen fill. Thanks for the info!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote