View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Mink Islander

Default Sunday Report From Mink Island

I walked in from Cattle Landing early Saturday to Mink Island. Had 9-10" of black ice at Cattle Landing. Closer to 10-11" of black ice on the north side of Mink where I was fishing. Conditions will be great for the Derby -- just hoping the wind dies down. Saw quite a few sleds/ATVs over the course of Sat/Sunday around Bear and on the Broads side of Camp and Jolly.

Sight of the weekend was a pair of large hawks (at least I think they were hawks) circling around Mink on Saturday. Not sure what they were -- definitely not Bald Eagles, but large for hawks. Looked like a male/female pair. Pretty cool.

Did a walk-around of Mink north of the carry. No home damage noted. Ice eaters all working. Did see where the Co-op had cut down some trees on the cove (south) side of the island. Must have been done since Thanksgiving. Some cutting over on the west side as well where the underground cables come up so it could have been a continuation of the clearing the Co-Op was doing on Bear in the fall. The moonlight over the islands was also really awesome last night. Very clear.

Hiking out Sunday, saw much more activity over by Meredith Neck and Meredith Bay has a lot more bob houses. Now if I could just have a little more luck fishing -- very quiet weekend. Maybe it's the full moon....
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote