View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #76
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
And I have a little 22' Eastern lobster with a little 115 H.P. outboard that produces a wake at any speed that will rival any of the big cruisers. It has a flat bottom semi-displacement hull that just pushes water out of the way.

It's not the size of the boat or horsepower that determines wake size but the type of hull it has.
In large part, yes. I think APS was relating that HP needed to push longer, heavier boats is required. As stated, not necessarily. There are many small to mid-size cruisers that are underpowered to to the MFG wanting to meet a certain price point in the marketplace. I've seen a 260 Sea Ray with a 5.0 engine, same as my 22 footer. That boat pushes some water before struggle to get on plane, and stay there. Not to mention, he uses more fuel to do so than an adequately powered boat.

There's a 48' trawler (maybe longer) over here that is captained by a very nice guy. He usually goes no faster than 10 mph out of the harbor. When in open water, the wake is measured in stories, not feet

Seriously large wake. Piloted by a knowing captain.