View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
bilproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Really? You need to help me with this--aren't local taxes spent primarily on schools, roads, police, fire? Given the need to use the boat, response time may be a bit slow, but I don't understand how islanders get less than other seasonal owners.
I don't believe it was said that island property owners get less than other seasonal property owners. Local taxes are spent on schools (no island school children) roads, (no island roads to repair or plow) police, (no police patrols on islands) and fire ( no fire engines on islands. Fire boat response at closest island 25 min.) Fire boat would exist without island property to respond to water front structure fires on the mainland. Island taxes do pay for the assessor (the only persons we ever see in the "police" boat) so they can come out and raise assessments to collect more taxes so I guess that's a benefit for the rest of Meredith property owners.
Has anybody ever asked Meredith why they have more commercial property to tax than Moultonborough but still have double the tax rate? Maybe Alex Ray and Rusty Mclear should be paying more? Seems like they will be getting the biggest benefit from the multi-million renovation and replacement of the Meredith waterfront and docks in town that are being proposed. No problem spending there but no money to repair docks at Lovejoy Sands or expand parking.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote