View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #85
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
I thought it was pretty "black" at 11:30 Sat night. I couldn't see the Moon through the clouds and fog where I was in Alton Bay. In any case, unless I'm not interpreting the data properly, the Moon was set or near to setting (2:32 AM) at the time of the collision. So it may have been hidden by the terrain as well as any clouds and fog.
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_pap.pl
I couldn't see the moon overhead even at midnight the night of the 15th. Even a "clouded moon" still illuminates the rest of the night sky impressively. The next opportunity for those hours will be July 15th, with a 93% full moon, to boot. We all should make an attempt to see for ourselves, once we get our night vision back from indoor lighting.

If another noisy boat wakes me at that hour or, if that raccoon that visits my metal trash bins has his usual good sense of timing, I may be able to report what I see then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
MP HQ normally closes at 2AM during the boating season. Responding officials most likely were home, maybe even in bed, when the collision was reported. If that was the case, 45 minute response time was reasonable.
That's been my experience as well. Maybe advise codeman671's response to my observations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
He is full of it...A mutual friend of Tom and Nancy Rock and I heard from them directly that it was pea soup at the time of the incident. It took MP 45 minutes to reach the scene in the fog/rain. With plenty of HP, radar, gps, etc and boats usually on patrol somewhere it would not have taken that long in fair conditions.