View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
2Blackdogs

I was a few miles from the crash scene but was easily able to see landforms and other boats out after midnight from my porch.

Timing, as they say, is everything and my observations were 2 hours prior to the collision. Things weather wise can change from hour to hour, but the full moon should have provided ample light even through clouds.

I have fiberglass repair experience, but Kjbathe has a good description of the boat's damage, so my earlier comments regarding crack propagation and deck separation seen in the photograph are moot.

I also just returned from the crash scene.

150' more to the west, and the island would have been missed altogether.

150' more to the east, and the boat would have run onto shore, though a small cabin is located there. The residents indicated the doctor's place as being the log cabin about 250' east. The doctor's waterline is floating, so weekend gawkers need to keep their distance.

As it was, the boat's anchor struck a low-lying, dark, shingled cottage just below a window while dragging its chain. Glass is strewn well past the cottage on their left side viewed from the lake. The ledge is about 4 feet high.

If the lake had been another foot higher, the boat could have set the record for fatalities on Winnipesaukee by entering the cottage. The resident is no friend of NHRBA and never was, so be forewarned.

Only one spot of gelcoat is on the rocky bottom, but would have given the driver insufficient notice. The bottom is all rocks, falls off relatively slowly, but borders a very deep part of the Broads. I expect the scene to be a busy place this weekend.

Since I forgot, please advise the resident that their homeowner's insurance should cover the cleanup of the glass, cottage damage and other scattered fiberglass debris. I also forgot my camera.

Sadly, you absolutely can't mistake the Diamond Island crash scene. It's about six square feet of pink smear with fiberglass shards embedded in the ledge.