View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 07:33 PM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
ITD, thank you very much for taking a look at that link and running the numbers again. My boiler was measured at 83% efficiency last year. There would not be any cost to change between oil and electric. I have both the tankless coil and a water heater installed. The aquastat on the coil is disabled.

I reread all the replies in the other thread about saving money on heating water and did some more research. I'm leaning toward putting a timer on the water heater and running it 1 hour a day. I'm thinking this might be the simplest and cheapest solution. The water heater is 4000 watts, or 4kWh per hour = 120 kWh per month x 17 cents per kWh = $20 a month.

Thoughts about that idea?

An on-demand system installed in the upstairs bathroom makes the most sense in terms of conservation of water and electricity and shortest distance to the shower, but it's the most expensive and least practical solution, involving opening the wall.
$.17 is only the cost of electricity—don't forget to add delivery charges.

I'd wrap your electric water heater and just keep it on. Given how little water you're using, I just don't see it making much difference turning it on for an hour to bring it up to temp from whatever it falls to the other 23 hours and keeping it at one temp—essentially, like the equation of keeping a house at one temp vs. dropping it and having to catch up later. The only difference is that a well-insulated water heater will lose very little heat.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote