View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #36
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
No argument here, your expectations are completely reasonable, and yet you embrace adding a bit of spice to life in the way of decorative lighting. What more could anyone hope for!

Its the notion that everyone should forgo property and decorative lighting on an active vacation destination lake like Winnipesaukee that disappoints me.

I enjoy the lights, but with that said, I would not care for them at midnight and beyond.

I think up until 11:00ish is not unreasonable for exterior lighting that impacts others, but I'm sure there are some that go to bed sooner and then there the stargazers who would prefer no lighting after dark, as if Winnipesaukee were some much less populated and remote area.

And while I understand their desire, I also think its unreasonable and unrealistic for Winnipesaukee.

Having some middle ground like a common agreement about minimizing unnecessary lighting after some time like 11:00 PM is the best you can hope for, and even that may be unattainable. The glow from each of the waterfront towns is significant, and from Laconia its pretty intense.

Again, we can hope and advocate for some balance, but unfortunately we now seem to live in a world of polarized extremes, so any compromise seems really tough to achieve. The posts on this forum on any subject are a really good example of how strongly opinionated we can be, and how uncompromising we too often are.

Thankfully this lighting preference we are discussing is a truly first world issue and has very little significance on the legitimate quality of life issues anyone here is dealing with.

So it remains a reasonable forum discussion, but nothing more.

ATB
The dramatic increase in the electric rates is partially due to the need to severely upgrade the grid to handle the increasing demand, not only in urban areas of NH, but also the increase in areas that were rural with small populations.

So any use of electricity in our area is quickly going to become a quality of life issue should they need to cycle brown outs.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post: