Thread: Cost of fuel...
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2022, 12:52 PM   #61
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Standard oil industry misinformation. Every reputable study shows huge environmental benefits to both solar and EVs, even after taking these points into account.

A related issue that does not require scientific analysis--the economic benefits to homes and businesses with solar panels were huge even before the price run up. Now they are massive.

As msw points out--if you have solar, heat pumps, and an EV, jumps in oil prices have virtually no impact on your wallet. I'm pretty sure that last year my net energy bill for a 3,000 sq ft house in Mass plus an electric car was a negative number--I received more in green energy credits than I paid for heat, lights, and gasoline. I'm an extreme case, but for anyone with a house in a sunny spot, solar panels are like an ATM on the roof
This has nothing to do with oil.... you may find this story rather interesting.

My electric bill right now is running me about $25.00 per month here in Idaho. Why so cheap? Hydroelectric power and a lot of it. What could be more green than that? Well the environmentalists out here want to remove the dams and return the rivers to their "natural state" which they have no coherent plan to replace the power generated from them which will drive those costs skywards, and how much sense does it make to replace something that is in place now, working awesome and is already renewable?

The net result of this beyond the power void it creates? Lack of flood control, inability to guarantee irrigation water to all the ag producers, taking away the transportation lanes for many products that use more efficiently these riverways for transporting goods and dumping them where? Rail lines or OTR trucking? Hmm....

Makes zero sense, but to the greenies they want what they want to hell with anyone else or the economic suicide that it takes to get there.

I am NOT anti alternative energy, I really think it will get there, but it takes time, this is an emerging technology so let it emerge. In the mean time coherent and responsible energy needs to be readily available to all at a reasonable cost to consumers. We have the ability to be self sufficient, and with that independent on the world stage, that translates into an ability to handle events such as what is going on today differently. This is not a provocative way of thinking - it is a sane and sensible thing to do. Bankrupting the country and funding outlaw states that wreak havoc around the world does not.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: