View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 10:54 PM   #57
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uschisk View Post
We purchased and have now installed the minisplits - but although we planned to order a set with precharged lines we did not ��. So - now we need to find someone who can cut/connect the lines and take care of the vacuum etc - wondering if anyone else has done a partial diy? Looking for recommendations. Thank you!
I thought I was initially getting precharged lines too. They actually are not precharged, the are just pre-evacuated. That didn't stop me from finishing though

I did not have to cut and flare lines. But I did it years ago and really not that hard. Just buy the right tools (maybe rent some). A tubing cutter and a flare tool.

Evacuating the line was a little tricky, but not that bad once I understood how it all worked. You can buy pumps for around $100.00 on Amazon.

You need a vacuum gauge (ideally a good one so you can detect leaks in a reasonable time span).

And a valve, make sure it's the correct one. Typically designated made for mini splits.

There are Video's online, but I found them not quite right.

Once lines are hooked up, you attach the proper valve (I think I linked it above in a post).

And you turn the knob IN (that opens the schrader valve), it's a little counter intuitive.

Run the pump with the Vacc gauge. Probably 30 minutes or so until it's down to spec for a sustained amount of time.

Once it's low enough, keep the pump going and back the knob on the valve out. That closes the schrader. Don't remove anything or turn off the pump.

Now you open the freon valve, and your done. As soon as you do that it locks the schrader valve. Now you can turn off the pump and remove the valve and cap it.

If you managed to get the mini split in, you can do the lines. It's not hard and if you watch a pro do it, you'll kick yourself in the butt thinking you should have done it.

But watch a few videos to get a feel. But none I found quite uderstood how it works. Except one Pro did, but he had a rather elaborate setup that was way over kill. But he did know what he was doing.

All you need is a Valve, Gauge and Pump.
Flaring tool and cutter is probably $15-$20 each. I'm sure there are good videos on that.

Here is a good video on cut an flaring. That's a really nice flaring tool, probably way more than $20.00 one I have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze7HCWcwnrI

Here is the video of the guy knowing what he is doing on evacuation, but way overkill. You don''t need to take the Schader valve out. Nor do you need the tools to allow it. If you are a Pro it might save some time (pump down faster). You just need a $10.00 valve. All you are doing it getting the moisture out of the lines by pumping them down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9uohbYDuRs

Oh one other thing. Mine came with pre flared lines. The lines lengths are matched to how much freon is precharged in the system. If you run lines longer or shorter now you raise the complexity a notch and you have to add or remove freon. So if your lines are preflarred don't worry about the excess length. There are videos on that too. Basically if you add say 10 ft you have to add so many ounces with a formula and you do it by weight. I didn't have to get into that. All I had to do was connect and pump them out.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: