View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 04:04 PM   #79
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Can anyone provide specific advice on this with regard to a lawnmower? I'm wondering:

(1) Does using, for example, 50% of the battery and recharging repeatedly affect battery life? Is it best to use all of the charge at once and then recharge?

(2) How to store the battery over the winter.

(3) Anything else that needs to be considered for maximum longevity?
1) As John pointed out above, the life is the number of cycles. But your convenience matters too. If you have only one battery and it takes 50% to do your lawn, I would charge after each mowing, so that you do not run out. But if you have two batteries, I'd let them run to 10-20% before recharging.

2) Cold saps the life of Li-ion, but they bounce back without degradation. I'd still keep them indoors and unplugged in the winter. More important--if you get an electric snowblower, make sure your batteries are indoor temperature before you start blowing.

3) Tesla suggests charging to a bit less than 100% to maximize battery life. But as noted above, convenience has value. I have not seen any significant degradation of my car battery after 5 years of treating it badly
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post: