View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #60
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Weirs Channel, where there is more current than other NWZ: Small boats with small props need to respect the larger boats with larger props and a lot more windage. 750 rpm for you is a lot different for the same RPM for a large boat.

Pilots say "Establish a good scan and get your head out of the cockpit and pay attention." If you're fixated on your GPS to make 5 mph or 6 mph, you're not paying attention outside the cockpit. When I had a larger boat (37' fly bridge) I passed boats in the channel when there was room. As we approached the bridge, I just kept my steerage speed and when my anchor was about to touch their stern pole, I gave a little toot, smiled and waved. They always added throttle, usually smiled and waved too. Never got a Boston Salute, but they always added throttle. Mostly, they were just oblivious to what was happening around them.

For the long time sexists you've seen me post, "Let the lady drive. Smile, shrug your shoulders and wave"
I mostly don't drive anymore, but I'm great at smiling and waving, and she's great at driving. Easy.
Descant--a really interesting post. I do not dispute the difficulty of your situation in the larger boat.

But in your telling, you appear to be the give-way vessel. You then beep at a stand-on vessel who gives way and smiles as he does it.

Was he really "oblivious"? Haven't you violated the right of way rules?

I don't pose these questions to be critical, and I can see how at certain times you could have had virtually no choice. It's just that, if my understanding is correct, it's an interesting breakdown of the rules.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote