View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #37
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default LEO interpretation

Been on this lake for decades. What I find out is each LEO interpret headway speed differently. One LEO will say I'm going to fast and another will tell me to speed it up! That happened once at the same time in the Weirs Channel but at different spots. There is never a right or wrong.

The way I see things, A no wake zone is perfect on an area that is not a thru way such as coves and bays. But channels and inlets/outlets requires headway speed to maintain safe steerage.

A deep vee boat tends to wander left and right at no wake speed but will travel straight if I maintain headway speed at 7+ mph. A pontoon boat and PWC can travel faster without creating a wake than a deep vee. So the interpretation is mixed in the eye of an LEO with little experience in boating.

I was pulled over a number of times in the channel when an LEO tells me to slow down. Seeing me jumping in and out of gear and wandering left and right he sees a potential impaired driver and will stop to give me a breathalyzer test. I even had some LEO telling me to have my mechanic fix the boat! That tells me how much they know boat handling!