View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 05:32 AM   #29
ApS

Exclamation Boats Have Been Tossed Ashore by Wakes...

This owner has an older Sea Ray 24' (26-LOA), who paid extra for his "deep-V" hull, which has helped in keeping it lodged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
There's just no way a boat wake lifted that boat high enough to place it on top of that ledge. There are no boats on the lake that could make a wake big enough to do that. There are some that could make a wake high enough, but not broad enough. It takes a very long period swell to lift an 8' 6" wide boat that high; boat wakes have a short period and will only make that sized boat roll or pitch with very little total lift. It was clearly driven aground.
While not necessarily in disagreement, it's not impressed on me that it was "clearly driven aground": the boat does not necessarily need to have been "lifted".

I live with wakes, and have witnessed wakes that are not just colossal in size, but produce sequential damage as they strike again and again.

Damage is compounded with strong winds—then add secondary and tertiary wakes—which may help explain the Winnipesaukee trend to boat lifts, and breakwaters AND mooring whips.

IMO, with a favorable wind and an oversized-cruiser, the stuck boat could have been dislodged with a few passes of skillfully-directed wakes.