Thread: Infrared heat
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2022, 08:12 PM   #83
John Mercier

It is because their minds are failing to grasp a concept.

Stating that the LED and incandescent produce light in two different ways is correct... but then not equating that a convection heater and radiant heater produce heat in two different ways is failing to grasp the concept.

If you place the two types of heaters on a desk just a few feet away from you.
The radiant will give you the sensation of warmth. For the convection to do the same, it must use some of that 1500w to run a fan; and the fan has to be large enough to move the air the distance to you without too much vector loss to the ambient air.

Now, if you use a non-fan convection and the radiant, though both will put similar wattage toward producing heat, the sensation of warmth for the radiant will be best felt sitting a few feet from you on the desk... the convection will be best felt by moving yourself over the top of the heater (warm air rises).

Warm air is also pressurized... so it will seek out the best means to escape the room. The same way the warm air in the convection oven rushes out when you open the door as compared to the feeling of when you open a microwave that uses radiant.

But rather than purchase a bunch of heaters, you can feel the sensation of each in trial at any retailer that has an active display.

Of course, there will not be savings over using the wood stove...

I use a convection kerosene space heater in the shop to bring the temperature up to a reasonable level while we wait for the fire in the stove to place enough BTUs in the firebox for the stove to begin radiating it to the room. I have even place an aluminum diamond plate reflector behind the stove to focus more of the radiant heat into the space and away from the wall behind the stove.

I could also use pea coal; but have more wood biomass production on the property than I use every year in the shop to make that purchase necessary or worthwhile.

If your waiting for the firebox of the stove to come up to temp, a simple heat pad should provide enough comfort. Trapped between you and the chair, even on a lower setting it should suffice.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote