View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #57
Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
What I would say is thank you for the pier I will own in (my guestimate) 5-10 years
If the lease term is 10 years, absent a default by the proponent, you won't get to say "thank you" for at least 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
and thank you for the taxes you will be paying me on your revenue the whole time
. There is no question that the city should look at potential tax revenue. However, the city derives no direct tax benefit from the rooms/meals tax, which is the only tax based on revenue. Further, unless the city were to negotiate a fee in lieu of taxes, there would be no real estate tax revenue, as the city would own the "real estate" to which the dock would be attached. There is no tax on municipal property, regardless of who paid for the improvements.

Again, I'm not arguing against the Dive. I'm arguing that a $1,500 per year payment is peanuts, for giving up a waterfront real estate benefit. There may be better options, and in my opinion, the city leaders have a duty to the taxpayers, to explore all options.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote