View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #122
DoTheMath

Default APS - you might be on to something!

And for once - you and I might - MIGHT - just agree on something!

Ok, so I mentioned above in my last post that alcohol - IMO, and others - contributes to the... we'll call it potentially "less than safe and intelligent" behavior of said boat operator!? Agreed!? (see my pp below, not sure how to do that multiple quote thingie either ).

Again, I call back to the operator that it is THEIR responsibility to act and operate their boat in a manner that is safe and prudent for the prevailing conditions. Mind you, there is NEVER a set of conditions that prevails where boating while under the influence of anything that lessens your ability to operate your vessel - and react defensively to avoid an incident - 100%, is acceptable! People have all kinds of nicknames for a can of beer, one that stands out - "can's of courage" - be it when you are asking out a girl in a social setting, being challenged to do something by your buddies that you may otherwise not... AND quite possibly operating your boat beyond both its, and the operators capabilities. So, if the operator is intoxicated, do you really think that the SL will invoke an additional measure of safety... yeah, doubt it!

Now, with that - you commented: With the presence of alcohol, common sense and good judgment aren't always "up to speed".
and herein lies where we AGREE! (cheers erupt! Peace and solidarity show evidence of being able to co-exist... ).

So, if we were to crack down on BWI - I would bet you we would see a direct correlation to a reduction in "dumb incidents" on the water, day and night! How can we do that? Plenty of ways... we could add local PD to the docks on detail, walking, talking and engaging the boaters, makes the "good folk" feel good and the drinkers think twice about getting tanked. Maybe put an MP out 500 ft from the same docks, lights flashing like they do with the fireworks / 4th weekend and again, people might - and probably will - think twice before they act.

Now, I am having issues with seeing any direct correlation between the SL and a lack of beer cans washing up on your beach this summer. I can't tell you the last time I pulled a beer can from the water, under or around my dock, in front of my house, that I didn't knock in there myself. Not sure where you live, but do we lay odds it's in a "heavily traveled" area that naturally increases the odds from an actuarial P.O.V where this could / may occur? Do we know if the cans from previous summers were thrown from a boat, do we know what kind of boat, was it a "performance boat", or a family boat, or maybe a giant cruiser / floating condo with a full-on galley? Was it going fast or was it going slow, was it day or night? Or was it one of your less-than-eco-responsible neighbors that may have allowed them to fall into the water and drift your way, and have since moved, or maybe started to recycle? I look at this from so many possible angles that it has caused me to break out my scientific calculator and work on a new algorithm to figure it out.

Ok, so after a loooooong process of working on this, I have come to the conclusion, and agree with "chipj" that... it is a coincidence! YES - just like the SL has "returned civility and alleviated all fear" to our fine lake this past summer, (where I, along with many others say it is the weather and economy), it is just a simple coincidence. Wait - that's a new angle I hadn't considered... the lack of empties on your beach is a collateral result of the poor economy! As people know, beer in greater container volume is cheaper, so to be more cost-concious they bought kegs, vs. cans to get a better value and thus, no empties to wash ashore.

All kidding / ribbing aside - again, it takes me back to the operator ACTING RESPONSIBLY, and not placing blame on the vessel, to the fact the people kill people, guns don't kill people. I have said for years, there needs to be much stricter laws governing alcohol (consumed) on / around boats, cuz for some reason people can't figure it out on their own. It seems simple enough, but people just don't get it. If I have people on MY boat, my wife and 4.5 year old son on MY boat, no matter if I'm driving it or a (capable) friend is, I ALONE AM RESPONSIBLE for that vessel and it's passengers - PERIOD!! Example - Hazelnut and I happen to be good friends - if I allow him to operate my boat, with or without me on it, I AM RESPONSIBLE for making that choice. I need to know (and do know) that he will act responsibly in all manners of doing so. I am accountable for not only my actions for giving him the keys, but trusting him - and his abilities to operate said vessel - and to not act irresponsibly while doing so.

I honestly think that is one of my biggest gripes over operators on this lake, the lack of accountability they seem to let guide and govern their actions behind (or next to) the wheel. Just stop and think, for 10 seconds before doing something - anything that has potential risk involved, what does your gut tell you!? Are you prepared to risk the lives of your loved ones and others, by throwing down that extra "I-didn't-really-need-that-last-Mojito" Mojito!? One bad mistake in judgement can change your life - and those of others - forEVER! A boat will NOT control itself, it is 100% up to the operator to control it - regardless of the size, style, horsepower, etc...

Ok, off my soapbox now - carry on...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DoTheMath For This Useful Post: