View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #112
DoTheMath

Default Just cruious...

it seems that the SL, BWI and "performance boats" seem to have a bit of a "kin-ship" - a mutual-INclusivity on this forum, as mentioned on more than one occasion by SL proponents.

Thus - I am curious how the speed limit will "cure" the issue of boating while under the influence of alcohol!?

Let's just say - for conversations sake - that there is a speed limit on the lake of... I duuno... something as ridiculous as 45mph. Now, if you were under the influence of alcohol - basically, intoxicated by what is at least the legal limit of .08? or above and you are cruising across the lake at 40mph in, oh let's see... maybe a 24ft bowrider that weighs 5,500lbs (operating weight) with an 18lb stainless prop on it, btw . Are you LESS likely to get into some sort of "accident" because you are going UNDER the "posted" speed limit, and / or because of the boat you are piloting? Keep in mind, the operator is drunk at this point in this hypothetical scenario... Hmmm...

Again, I call back to the operator that it is THEIR responsibility to act and operate their boat in a manner that is safe and prudent for the prevailing conditions. Mind you, there is NEVER a set of conditions that prevails where boating while under the influence of anything that lessens your ability to operate your vessel - and react defensively to avoid an incident - 100%, is acceptable! People have all kinds of nicknames for a can of beer, one that stands out - "can's of courage" - be it when you are asking out a girl in a social setting, being challenged to do something by your buddies that you may otherwise not... AND quite possibly operating your boat beyond both its, and the operators capabilities. So, if the operator is intoxicated, do you really think that the SL will invoke an additional measure of safety... yeah, doubt it!

Someone mentioned in another thread / post about having an MP presence at the main town docks on weekends / Friday and Saturday nights, Meredith, Weirs, Wolfeboro, etc... keeping an eye out for a potential incident BEFORE it occurs. Great idea BTW - really, they do it at the bars on dry land, why not the water!? If you saw the authorities walking the docks, talking to boaters, just interacting with the boaters, wouldn't you think twice about getting tanked and coming back to your boat to face a conversation with the MP or that towns PD!?!? If a bar can hire a cop to be on detail at their door, why not appoint one to patrol the docks on the busy nights, I guarantee you would see a drop in BWI incidents, and by extension - "Capt. Boneheads"!

Speed - once again - is not the enemy people, an increasing lack of common sense and good judgement however... seems to be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoTheMath For This Useful Post: