View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Chickie

Default Registry of Deeds

The Registry of Deeds site can be a bit intimidating and confusing when trying to locate the older deeds for the first time. It is sometimes slow to load and has crashed on me a few times in the past. I can give you step-by-step instructions on how to access them if you haven’t been able to as yet. I found a couple more deeds this afternoon, whereby John P. Davis deeded two parcels, which consisted of a substantial amount of land, to Charles A. Davis. His wife’s signature is on one of them, as Mary M. Davis. Might Charles A. be a brother of John P. or some other ancestor you may be familiar with?

In reading the Bartlett book on line, I find a gap of 9 pages in Co. G. It goes to 661 and then skips to 670. At the top of Page 670 it mentions brothers Charles W. and Winthrop H. If my guess is correct, this is probably the profile of George Henry Smith. I have done quite a good deal of research on the Smith family (Winthrop H. especially) and I know his brother, George was killed at Chancellorville. You mention that you have a printed copy of the book,WinnDixie? Would you mind checking to see if your book has those pages and whether there is a sketch of him, as well?

Thanks
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote