View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #17
longislander

Quote:
So, correct me if I misspeak, the Town of Moultonborough buys the land and building for $495,000 from the Lions Club, leases it back to them for $0 in rental payments, charges no property taxes, and has the obligation to maintain exterior of the building and the grounds including plowing and mowing the lawn. Lessee (i.e. the Lions Club) is responsible for the repair and maintenance of all plumbing, heating, air conditioning, etc. as part of the lease but the petition is to have the taxpayers of Moultonborough foot the bill for it.
No correction needed ... you got it! The lease is up for renewal in June 2017, and has fallen in disrepair. It's town property and needs to be maintained. Nobody else is going to get it fixed. But if the taxpayers are more aware, they can demand better return on their dollar, or at least, determine if "sale/lease back", MoBo version, is the right way to go.

Those not in the area, and others that cannot make it to the Annual March Meeting, cannot vote on important issues that affect all of the taxpayers. A summer meeting would allow those votes. Voter registration is, of course, required to be a voter. Even absentee voters are not allowed to vote on most important issues. NH law dictates what can be on the "Australian ballot" that absentee voters use. It's the same ballot used by those in town in March at the Tuesday voting, not the Saturday voting. It should be noted that the Tuesday and the Saturday are "Town Meeting Day".

Last edited by longislander; 04-17-2016 at 06:55 AM.