Thread: Police standoff
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #26
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Sure there are police officers who don't do things right but they make up less than 1% of the total.
It's hard to find an exact number online quickly, but there are roughly 700,000-800,000 sworn officers in the US (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_en..._United_States).

Let's say that "less than 1%" is half a percent, and say 750,000 sworn officers. That would be 3,750 officers who "don't do things right".

That is still a pretty big problem, wouldn't you agree? Especially when we don't seem to hear about police departments sweeping these people out.

Several police departments, like Boston, have "Anti-Corruption" units and a moderately large Internal Affairs group. You don't staff up for something like that to deal with a problem that affects "less than 1%" of your staff. When you hear about the cases that make it to the public media it is almost always about problems that have been going on for *years*. You're not hearing about a guy that messed up once, you're hearing about someone who has been a public menace for a very long time.

I'd also like to know where you got your less than 1% number from, because I'm pretty sure it's low by an order of magnitude at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
And I promise to never come to your workplace and tell you how to use your pencils.
I would expect not, Winnisquamer isn't a public servant (I presume) and his salary isn't paid for by taxpayer money. Police forces very much have an expectation of public scrutiny, the public is your "customer".

Why do you assume that people "don't know what they are talking about" just because they have a critical opinion? Do you feel that 3750 corrupt officers don't warrant concern?