View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Subaru AWD tire issue?

Subaru AWD and Tire issue? You're not going to believe this one !
Re: 2012 Subaru Outback wagon - 40,000 miles

Wife was driving home from market and hit a pothole, but there was also something in the pothole ! Long story short, she limped the car home. I removed tire (rear) and immediately noticed the tire had a rip in the tread, right in the middle of the tire, and I could actually see the steel belt.
Tires have only about 10k on them.

Removed the tire and brought to local tire dealer who said it was trashed and beyond repair. OK, I say to him ‘how much for a new tire’, or a pair of matched set ? He said you can’t replace just two tires but really need to replace all four ! He tells me that Subaru is AWD and has this Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system, and with that all tires need to be exactly the same, otherwise it affects this AWD system, and has the potential to destroy the transmission if all the tires are not the same brand, type, tread depth,
and in sync. It's that sensitive.
You have to be kidding me............

Apparently the AWD system is tied to the trannie, which monitors each tire rotation and adjusts as needed. Even tread depth of the tire affects the ADW system. I called the local Subaru dealer who basically told me the same story !

So now I have 3 good tires with about 10k miles use on each, and 1 bad tire to replace.
Sounds like I have 3 options.
1) Replace all four tires. Cha-Ching !
(And try to sell the 3 good ones on Craigslist)
2) Replace both rear tires, matching the front tire tread pattern as closely as
possible and pray it doesn’t affect the AWD or trannie?
3) Buy 1 new tire of the exact brand and type as the other 3, then have the
tire “shaved” to match the tread depth of the other 3. Are you kidding me,
shaving tires, is this what we've come to
This just doesn’t seem right to me, pay for a perfectly good new tire, then
shave off miles of rubber just to match the other 3

Lessons learned here about AWD, sounds like they’re more trouble than there worth. Do all AWD systems work in the same manner, not just Subaru?

Bring back the days of my old Chevy, a carburetor, and front or rear wheel drive,and no onboard computer systems monitoring everything under the hood.

Would appreciate any gear-heads or Subaru owners feedback on my options?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote