View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #83
codeman671

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
The kind of vessel matters:

Would a human being with a 32-foot 90-MPH boat go for a spin only to kill two innocent boaters, toss a friend's teenaged daughter into pitch-black lake waters 1000 feet from shore, and have a driverless boat penetrate 132 feet into a shoreline lined with cabins?

Maine law describes this boat as "a Deadly Weapon". Why would they allow such boats to operate on inland protected waters by sober operators?

Statistics...Production of Grieving Families by Boat Type in Local Collisions:

Ocean-racers = 3
Bow riders = Zero
Yes, lets talk about the details...

The boat is an 80mph boat, not a 90mph boat. Having driven a few just like it, and quite possibly the same boat when it was at the dealer new, it is capable of 80-81mph under optimal conditions. Shall I dare ask where you pulled 90mph from??? Probably the same place many of your other stretches of the truth come from. And not that it really makes a particle of difference, the boat is equipped with twin 425hp engines, not 435hp. The media has it wrong. Merc does not make a 435hp engine package. The boat has twin 496 Mag HO's, std equipment.

The accident happened at 45mph according to the article I read, so why do you need to spin this further? Cars are capable of doing over 100mph, yet if an accident happens at 45mph does it get brought up that it is a 100mph car? Nope, just your spin on the situation. The guy was drinking and should not have been behind the wheel. The boat did not do it, the driver did. Boats do not drive themselves last time I checked. And had he been wearing his lanyard the kill switch would have shut the boat down when he was ejected which at least would have prevented the boat from continuing down the lake by itself. Another driver error. The "dead man" as they are called are there for a reason. I once slipped on a wet deck after hitting a wave and hit the floor, had I hit my head and not been wearing my lanyard my boat could have kept going in its path and killed someone. STOP BLAMING THE BOAT!!!!!!!!

If I swerve into another car on the way home at 45mph and killed someone is it my SUV's fault? Unless there was a mechanical malfunction that caused it, it was my fault not the vehicle. If I was drinking? Still the driver. My 8600lb gvw behemoth can touch 100mph, should we bring it up that it is a deadly weapon and should be banned from the road??? Come on...