View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #56
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
On another subject. I've had quite a few friends that have been talked into those new gas instant boilers the size of a suitcase that hang on the wall. Everyone of them have had problems with them every year. They are very efficient when they are working. One of them had to have his replaced after only 5 years. The unit was under warrantee but not the installation. This is the way the industry is going. Just like every other appliance made today, they are only made to last until the warrantee is up. You will never get 30 years out of one of these units.
I beg to differ. There are about 100 units in my HOA. All were built in the mid to late 70's. All were equipped with the latest European 'suitcase' state of the art boilers at the time. Built in Scandinavia they were extremely reliable and efficient. After 35 years, they start to wear out and parts are hard to find. Most of the problems during the 35 years are attributed to the plumbing and not the boilers.

Most if not all the replacements are condensing boilers. Any complaints in the last few years were from faulty installations, faulty zone switches, and circulators. They have nothing to do with the boiler manufacturers. They are added on by HVAC. Seems like the add ons are giving the boiler manufacturers a bad rap. In fact my HVAC guy even told me that when I had concern about the quality of the Rinnai. Talked to a number of Rinnai owners that had their unit for a decade or more have confirmed this fact.