View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
It's all about the topology and antennas. If your property is somewhat high or better yet on a hill _and_ have a reasonable clear shot in the direction of the transmitting facility, you have a good chance with a normal antenna.

Some things you can do even under less than optimum conditions are:

1) Use a fairly high gain antenna pointed in the proper direction. Or use a rotator - then you can optimize.
2) Use an antenna-mounted amplifier PARTICULARLY for UHF, which most stations are using these days - check for channel 9 - I don't remember if they are still up on UHF or have been allowed to revert to their previous VHF allocation. The amplifier helps VHF as well. This can make a HUGE difference
3) Use coaxial feedline (with the antenna mounted amplifier).

The importance of a superior antenna system cannot be overstated. In a fringe situation, it makes all the difference in the world.
Agree on all points. On the West side of Welch I have a tall roof mount mast with a rotor. Two antennas, one high gain UHF antenna with fixed aim mounted under the rotor aimed toward Vermont channels 31 NBC and 41 PBS, both come in solid. The other is a high gain VHF high band yagi aimed toward Mt Major where I get Maine Ch 8 most of the by reflection. Can't get ch 9, too close to the Belknap Range so angle to horizon is too steep. Someone further back like Moultonborough on high ground, clear view and a proper antenna may have a chance. Can't get Maine channels from west side of Welch; almost a mile of tall trees in the way.

Both the UHF and the VHF high antennas feed into a preamp via coax. I found the ch 8 reflection by accident when looking for ch 9 which is still in the VHF high band.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote