View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #303
Evenstar

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I've been kayaking and canoeing on Winni long before you have. The biggest gripe I have and other paddlers and sailboaters have is the 150' violation. Not speed. I have yet to meet a paddler who will personally tell me they fear a GFBL boat! They fear the family boater.
You (and many others here) keep acting like the speed limit only affects GFBL boats, when it affects ALL boats that can exceed 45 mph. I have never singled out GFBL boats. And I and many other paddlers have had experienced close calls on wini from high-speed boats. I'm not making this up.

Quote:
As far as paddling on the Broads. With the everchanging New Hampshire weather, it will be foolish to be out in the middle of the Broads without a PFD. I see it many times. I see many kayakers in dark kayaks with dark paddles and they are difficult to see. Especially when there are white caps. Don't tell me that kayakers are the safest people on Earth. I have rescued many kayakers and canoeists who are 'over their heads' in bad weather
Now you're judging all kayakers on the actions of a few inexperienced recreational kayakers. That would be like me judging all powerboaters on the actions of one "captain bonehead."

I never kayak without my PFD - no matter where I paddle. And I always dress for the water temperature and take extra clothing and gear with me. I have never been "over my head" on the water - and I have never needed to be rescued. I have been trained to do rescues - both with a kayak and with a powerboat.

My sea kayak is bright red and my friend's kayak is bright yellow, yet we have nearly bee run over by high-speed powerboaters on winni.

Sea kayakers do have one of the best safey records of all boaters - with the lowest percentage of fatalities of all boaters.