Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #294
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Who is forcing the Marine Patrol to put RADAR on their boats? The MP have been enforcing speed limits on dozens of New Hampshire lakes for decades without RADAR! There are several ways to enforce a speed limit that do not use RADAR.

Plus they have at least two hand held units that were used for a recent survey. I don't believe enforcement will be much of a problem. The speed limit is mostly self enforcing. If a problem develops they can send out an officer with a hand held to set up a speed trap during a few peek hours.

A speed limit sets a standard of behavior for the community. Most people are law abiding. And according the the opponents, almost nobody goes over 45 anyway. So how can enforcement be such a problem?
How many times have you driven down Pleasant Street over 25 MPH? I actually find it difficult to keep it under 30, I try to stay between 25-30 MPH and consider that obeying the law. Today I was followed up Pleasant Street by a cruiser and I was doing my normal 25-30 MPH thing. I wasn't pulled over. So I submit that law abiding citizens speed. I consider myself a law abiding citizen and I do speed. I drive 93 south every Monday morning from here to rt 128. average speed for me is 72 and people fly by me all the time. I've even had cops fly by me while I was traveling at 72. Point is we'll still have boats traveling over 45 and we'll still have idiots violating the 150' safe passage law. I am less concerned about the boats going over 45 MPH than I am about the idiots not paying attention. Your entire premise is that passing the speed limit will keep certain people away, I believe it won't. You also think the lake will be safer, I believe it won't. I actually think if the law passes absolutely nothing will change. The problems we face are not speed related they are safety related. Paying attention, 150' safe passage, BUI, driving fast through NWZs, etc.. A speed limit addresses none of those problems.